Sunday 12 June 2011

...control drift away from me, and some crap TV

I got told off just now, by two of my only friends who know about my blog for not blogging for ages. It's true, I've been slack of late, but in my defence I've been busy. Who isn't busy? The Duke of Edinburgh is bloody busy and he's 90, so it turns out I don't really have a defence. The truth is I use my blog to vent my thoughts about something that is extremely dear to me: TV, telly, or as I like to affectionately call it: the colour box. Telly is an infinite source of joy for me, when it's good so much the better, but I'm engaged even when it's awful. Dating in the Dark - what DOES Sarah Harding think she looks like? Neighbours - jelly belly is back, albeit briefly, and increasingly jelly-like of belly. Brothers and Sisters - it's about to end, and although I'm sad, I think it's about time. All good things and all that. Having said that, when Glee ends I'm not sure I'll cope. It'll be like Will Young coming out all over again: inevitable but unbearable. Can't they just be in high school and sing their troubles away all their lives? It could be like a soap - if it was on three nights a week I'd definitely watch it. In fact, I might never go out. Which presents its own challenges I know.


Recently I've been having the opposite problem. I haven't given my telly the time and attention it deserves. But the truth is, that over the past few weeks I've been so busy I haven't been able to watch a lot of TV, let alone blog or tweet. Instead I've observed Twitter from afar, I've read the blogs of my favourite twiends, but I haven't said hi, I haven't dipped my toe in. Well consider it dipped people, consider it dunked, in fact I'm diving in today. @pleasedonteatjo deserves special mention here, as someone I will probably never meet, but whom I would always like to tweet, and who inspires me with a brutally honest blog written in inimitable style: keep up the good work buddy.


So today I'm casting off the safety net that is talking about television, and I'm going to talk about me. Don't worry, if you're not interested I'll do telly at the end. 


Over the past couple of months mental things have happened: I've become a director of my company, I've watched two of my best friends get married, and in the past few days I've had a minor operation. Not a big deal, but I'm a hypochondriac, so a challenge for me to say the least. See you didn't know I was a hypochondriac did you? You didn't know I had friends, you didn't even know I had a job. I've got all that stuff. Check me out. What I'm lacking right now though, is control. I feel beholden to a lot of people in my life. Shareholders agreements need to be drawn up: I'm not in charge of that. I might be living on my own before long: my fate is in the hands of my housemate and her boyfriend on that front. Am I just supposed to wait and get told what's happening? That doesn't sound like fun, that sounds like a fire drill, and limbo has never been a place that I've resided in with ease. 


SO... what to do? How to regain control? How to take decisive action? Well the answer is that right now I don't know, but I'm open to suggestions. For someone who is loathe to show weakness, this is growth I assure you. I don't know what I'm gonna do yet, but I know I'm gonna do something. For someone with big feet I'm taking baby steps. 


First thing I'm gonna do? Reconnect with an old friend. A friend who is always there, who doesn't play devil's advocate, but who does entertain and educate me daily: old faithful, my colour box. I know I've neglected it of late, but as with eating chocolate, and facebook stalking potential love interests I'll always find the time, so for the sake of the name of this blog let's talk telly if only for a moment. 


Confession: I love Stephen Mulherne. He who presents Britain's Got More Talent. I know. No seriously, I know. But it's like hayfever: seasonal. The crush only lasts for those few weeks that BGT is on, and then it's out of sight out of mind, and sanity reinstates itself, but for those few weeks it reeeeally clouds my judgment. For this year, the worst is over. Phew. 


The Good Wife: Can Will and Alicia pleeeeeease just get it on?? I know it's called The Good Wife, and so it has a certain something to live up to, but for once I'd enjoy it if she'd just succumb and be the naughty, bad, dirty wife I know she wants to be. Just for like a day. 


Children's television. During my post-op recuperation I've watched a bit for the first time in a long time, including:
Friday Download, where a bunch of over achieving teenagers reflect on stuff: music, films, computer games. It's insipid, annoying, and staged. I've watched an entire episode two weeks in a row. Make of that what you will.
Copycats, where theatre school kids pretend to be normal kids, and do a series of challenges with parents dragged along for the ride. The best thing about it are the presenters: Sam and Mark. Another guilty pleasure of mine in the Mulherne mould. Best if we just skim past it. 
Aaaand finally... Spongebob Squarepants. Well what can I say? It's trippier than a general anaesthetic. 

1 comment: